Monday, June 22, 2009

Where should the student start to crochet?

When someone wants to learn how to crochet, they have a bunch of options, with a wide variation in costs.

There is, of course, the free how-to-crochet websites (including YouTube and its cousins). And the student doesn't have to leave their house to take a lesson.

A student can pick up a book at any good book store. And again, the student can work on learning in the privacy of their own home.

Or the student can sign up for lessons from a real live-and-in-person instructor. The student has to travel, and will probably spend quite a bit more.

So, what value can we instructors provide, to justify the extra effort and cost?

Well, one of the biggest benefits that I provide is that when the student is learning from me, they do not have to start with the foundation chain.

Instead, when they are about to learn their very first stitch, I give them a hook, yarn, and a partially completed piece of crochet. Here is the "pattern" that I use:
  • Ch 11
  • Row 1: Sc across (there will be 10 sc's)
  • Row 2: Sc across
  • Row 3: Sc 3, and leave the rest of the row unworked

By doing the first 3 sc's in Row 3, I avoid any issues associated with where to insert the hook for the first stitch - I talk about that later in the lesson.

So, it is really easy to figure out where to insert the hook for the next sc.

The student gets the feel of how easy it is to insert the hook, because the stitches that I made in the previous row are of the appropriate size and tension. And when the student works Row 4, they may notice the difference between working on my stitches versus working on their stitches.

My curriculum for the first class is as follows:

  • 1/2 hour single crochet
  • 1/2 hour double crochet
  • 1/2 hour half double crochet
  • 1/2 hour foundation chain and single crochet into the chain

I find that there is just so much challenge in working the foundation chain and the first row. I get a lot of feedback from my students expressing appreciation for saving the hardest for the last. So I believe that not only am I on the right track, but I am definitely providing something that cannot be offered by any of the learn-to-do-it-yourself media.

Thoughts?

Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment