Wednesday, June 24, 2009

How to hold the yarn

When I am teaching someone to crochet, one of the challenges is how to hold the yarn that is about to become a stitch.

The key thing about that yarn is that you want the yarn to be able to move somewhat freely around the left index finger, but not too freely. You must be able to have some tension between the previous stitch on the hook. But if the yarn doesn't move freely on that finger, then the finger just keeps getting closer and closer to the hook, and soon you have to take some time to give yourself more yarn.

I am one who wraps the yarn twice around my left index finger, so that the yarn comes off the side of the finger closest to me. I know that others wind the yarn over the left index finger, under the next two fingers, and over the pinky. I have tried both, and I know that either method provides an appropriate amount of friction (not too much, not too little). But I still prefer my way.

And that is what I teach - unless the person is coming for a refresher course, in which case I let them do whatever they want with the yarn - as long as it moves appropriately.

The one thing that I really watch for in my students is whether they let the yarn get too loose - usually because they are using that index finger to hold onto the crochet fabric. I do make a point of emphathizing with them, joking about how many things you have to think about when you are starting to learn to crochet.

How do you teach your students to hold the yarn?

Thanks

Judy
http://www.LearnToCrochetCalgary.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment