Monday, July 6, 2009

Pattern Reading resources

When I teach crochet students how to read patterns, I go in detail through 3 different patterns from the Bernat website, I touch on another one, and I also discuss a British pattern. I hand out to the students each of these patterns. When we are talking about the patterns, they can make notes on their paper copy. The Bernat patterns are available for free on the Bernat website.

The first one I teach is the Preemie hat, at http://www.bernat.com/pattern.php?PID=3654. This is a simple tube with the top crocheted together and folded in a creative manner. This pattern also has a knitted preemie hat, which I use for teaching knitters how to read patterns as well.

I start with this pattern because it is very simple - no shaping at all. I discuss all of the key points in the header of the pattern (the photo, the skill level, the materials, and the gauge). At this point, I usually show that other patterns have similar information. I discuss gauge relative to garments vs. non-garments. Then I walk through the instructions line by line, and explain what it is saying. This could be the first time that the student has been introduced to circular crochet, so that's a great topic.

The second pattern I discuss is a woman's Deep V Top, at http://www.bernat.com/pattern.php?PID=2710. This one uses simple stitches (sc in bk lp, and hdc), but it has some increases and decreases, for the neckline and sleeves. But otherwise it is very simple. I like to talk about this pattern because it introduces multi-sizes and shaping. By the time we have reached the end of the analysis of this pattern, the students really believe that they can make it!

The third pattern I discuss is a baby afghan, at http://www.bernat.com/pattern.php?PID=171. For this project, we are back to a simple shape, but a fancy stitch, the shell. This is the first time that we talk about interpreting a line of instructions with many different kinds of stitches. I usually haul out a pencil and paper and actually draw a basic chart, to show the student what it will resemble. I don't use a standard chart - this pattern just has chs and dcs, so I use a circle for the chains and a straight line for the dcs. Again, by the time we have reached the end of the analysis of the pattern, the students are chomping at the bit to head out to get the materials for it.

I touch on a fourth pattern, baby bib and booties, from http://www.bernat.com/pattern.php?PID=2390. I just point out that both the bib and the booties have some simple stitches and shaping. I have already made the booties, so I show them to the students - the booties also feature the ribbing formed by sc in bk lps, as discussed in the Deep V Top above, and the students are excited to see it.

I hand out a photocopy of a British pattern for a simple sweater with some interesting features on it. The basic pattern in British-eze is a repeat of 3 trebles and a chain. The paper that I give the student has a bunch of red felt marker markings on it showing how the tc has to be interpreted as a dc. I have actually made this garment, in a pretty sunny yellow, and that seems to be an inspiration to the students.

Anything to give them the confidence that they will succeed!

What do you do to help students with pattern reading? Please comment!

Thanks

Judy Obee
My web site

Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments:

Post a Comment