Monday, August 17, 2009

The value of crocheting

Every so often, one of my crochet students will realize that it is easier and faster and sometimes even cheaper to go to the store and buy an item instead of making it.

When I was much younger, of course, making a garment was usually cheaper than buying it. But now, the majority of clothing stores try to offer goods at as low a price as they can.

I usually tell these students that I make my own things for a few reasons:
  • I can modify the fit as I am making the garment, so that it fits my specially-shaped body
  • I can use the garment as an expression of my own creativity.
  • It helps to convert potentially time-wasting activities (such as watching tv, waiting for an appointment, being the passenger in a car) into productive activities.
  • I get a sense of accomplishment when I have completed something.

How do you respond to this comment?

Thanks

Judy


Judy Obee
My web site

Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments:

Post a Comment